Water Aerobics Keeps the Swelling Down: Gus’ Story

Water Aerobics Keeps the Swelling Down: Gus’ Story

I woke up one morning in 1978 to find that my right leg was swollen to twice its size. I called my doctor, who told me to come in immediately. He pressed his thumb into my ankle and created a ½-inch dent to show me how swollen I was and sent me to the hospital.

I had three clots in my legs, or deep vein thrombosis. Back then, they kept you hospitalized for a week while monitoring the heparin, then they sent you home with warfarin. I stayed on warfarin for 90 days. It was believed that a minor car crash the week before was the catalyst for the clot.

I’m not the only person in my family to have experienced blood clots. Five years ago, my sister developed clots in her lungs (pulmonary emboli) and underwent testing for genetic clotting disorders. She was positive for factor V Leiden, prompting the rest of the family to get tested. Another sister and I also tested positive for factor V Leiden.

Forty-five years later, in May of 2023, I developed clots again. Now I am on apixaban for life.

Since my first occurrence, the only pain I’ve had is the soreness from the leg swelling. I’m lucky and grateful there is better detection and meds nowadays.

I discovered that water aerobics is the best thing for keeping the swelling down. The combination of exercise and compression from the water works wonders.


Living Your Best Life on Blood Thinners
Factor V Leiden
Signs and Symptoms

Share your story
The personal story is intended for informational purposes only. The National Blood Clot Alliance (NBCA) holds the rights to all content that appears on its website. The use by another organization or online group of any content on NBCA’s website, including patient stories that appear here, does not imply that NBCA is connected to these other organizations or groups or condones or endorses their work. Please contact info@stoptheclot.org with questions about this matter.

Additional patient stories



Always Speak Up For Yourself


It Took Me Weeks to Come to Terms With My Diagnosis


I Live Every Day Freely, With Love and Intent