NBCA’s Role in Patient Advocacy
“WE KNOW THE PATIENT BECAUSE WE ARE THE PATIENT”
The National Blood Clot Alliance (NBCA) is a patient-led, voluntary health advocacy organization. Our programs strive to support, educate and advocate for the millions of people affected by blood clots or at increased risk for blood clots. Some of NBCA’s advocacy objectives include:
- Promote supportive public and private sector policy.
- Assist in establishing guidelines for the prevention, treatment, and management of blood clots.
- Promote funding for and establishment of comprehensive thrombophilia programs to allow every patient access to thrombosis specialists within a reasonable distance where patients live.
- Assist scientists with research efforts relating to all aspects of thrombosis and thrombophilia.
- Create a national policy agenda and a grassroots advocacy network.
CVS Caremark (part of CVS Health), has made changes to their 2022 commercial formulary which will reduce anticoagulant (blood thinner) choice for patients.
- Read more about what NBCA is doing to advocate for patients regarding this here.
- Supported by 14 cardiovascular patient and provider organizations, this letter outlines the concerning changes to the formulary, how non-medical switching endangers patients and compounds existing disparities and how reversing this ill-advised decision will protect at-risk patients.
- Say NO to non-medical switching. These decisions should be made by you and your doctor. Sign the pledge and add your voice to the thousands of patients impacted by this decision. Sign the pledge here.
- A message from our Communications Director, Beth Waldron, about non-medical switching: