I’m Lucky to be Alive: Amanda’s Story

I’m Lucky to be Alive: Amanda’s Story

My first issue with deep vein thrombosis (DVT) began in November of 2022. My family and I went on a five-hour road trip to Disneyland. A week after returning home, I began to develop a charley horse cramp in my right calf.   

I assumed I had pulled a muscle somehow. I tried massage and heat, but after three days, I could barely walk. I made a telephone appointment with my doctor, who immediately ordered an ultrasound. I knew something was wrong when the technician stepped away and returned with a wheelchair.   

He said I had a large blood clot behind my knee. I was transferred to the emergency room, where I was prescribed an anticoagulant and told I would need to be on an anticoagulant for the foreseeable future. I began my medication and carried on with my life.   

Fast forward a few months to January 2023. I woke up one morning with my right leg extremely swollen. I thought maybe the previous blood clot was causing this, so I tried to ignore it despite the growing pain I was feeling. I also started noticing that I was extremely short of breath.  

Just to be safe, I made a telephone appointment with my doctor. She ordered an x-ray and EKG and told me everything looked normal. Although I told her my shortness of breath was extreme, she attributed it to my recent weight gain.   

I struggled for two more days before going to urgent care. The doctor informed me that he was very worried and suspected that I had a pulmonary embolism. I was sent immediately for a CT scan.   

Results came back almost immediately. Not only did I have large blood clots in both of my lungs (PEs), but I also had a large clot in the artery crossing in the middle, or a saddle PE.  

I was transferred to the ER and connected to heart and oxygen monitors along with IVs placed in both arms. The ER doctor told me he was glad that I came in when I did. 

I was admitted to the hospital and placed on a continuous heparin drip for 72 hours. This was followed by a triple dose of warfarin and enoxaparin shots in my stomach every 12 hours. 

I’m not aware of any risk factors that might have contributed to this. I am still struggling to grasp the severity of what the outcome could have been. My primary care doctor told me she was shocked when she saw my diagnosis and that I was lucky to be alive.  

My experience has taught me that self-care is so important and even if it turns out to be nothing, listen to your body and seek care when something seems off. I have learned to focus on my health and well-being. Life is so precious and can end in an instant. 


Signs and Symptoms of Blood Clots
Blood Clot Treatment
Know Your Risk of Blood Clots

Share your story
The personal story is intended for informational purposes only. The National Blood Clot Alliance (NBCA) holds the rights to all content that appears on its website. The use by another organization or online group of any content on NBCA’s website, including patient stories that appear here, does not imply that NBCA is connected to these other organizations or groups or condones or endorses their work. Please contact info@stoptheclot.org with questions about this matter.

Additional patient stories

Ernie Cheatham


I Had Clots in Both Legs While Running Endurance Races
Talicia Bryan


I Thought I Had COVID
diana palmer


I Missed Two Doses of My Blood Thinner