Kara King

Categories: News,Patient Stories

The personal story below is intended for informational purposes only. The National Blood Clot Alliance (NBCA) holds the rights to all content that appears on its website. The use by another organization or online group of any content on NBCA’s website, including patient stories that appear here, does not imply that NBCA is connected to these other organizations or groups or condones or endorses their work. Please contact info@stoptheclot.org with questions about this matter.

September of 2010 in Austin, was busy in the King household.  The kids had just started a new school year, I was neck deep in volunteer work at school, and I was teaching cooking classes on fall cooking techniques.  We were so busy that I never stopped to think about the weird pains that started affecting my body.  The first occurred when I awoke with a sharp stabbing pain in my left chest.  I did not feel any shortness of breath, but I felt pain when I took a deep breath.  When my chest pain persisted for a few hours, I called my doctor, who said it was just a pinched nerve, and to take a muscle relaxant, which didn’t help.  I was miserable for 2 more days, and then felt the same stabbing pain on the other side of my chest.  I immediately called my doctor again.  His assessment was that I was straining my right side to compensate for the pinched nerve on the left.  The doctor again said to keep taking muscle relaxants, even though I told him that they were not having any effect.

I knew something wasn’t right.  I even asked my doctor during our phone conversation whether I could be having a pulmonary embolism (PE).  I knew my symptoms were classic for a PE, because I have an undergraduate degree in biomedical science.  His answer was “You don’t have a PE, take the muscle relaxants, and you’ll feel better in a few days.”  I listened to my doctor’s advice, and did not seek a second opinion.  I should have trusted my own instincts and gone to the emergency room.

Like we all do, I didn’t spend too much time thinking about things, just got busy with my daily life as best I could and tried to ignore the pain. I decided to go for a walk to try to “work out” the pinched nerve after my second call to my doctor.  During my walk, I felt winded and noticed that my left leg felt very tired, heavy, and it took a lot of effort to move it.  It was a 95 degree day so I told myself I was dehydrated.  Later that night, my leg felt like I pulled a muscle, and it woke me during the night. I took more muscle relaxants without relief.

The following morning began like any routine day.  I put my 2 little boys on the bus for school.  My 4 year old daughter was eating breakfast as she watched cartoons, and I was drinking a cup of coffee and paying bills.

I had gotten up to get ready to run some errands, and all of a sudden, my leg stopped moving.  I literally couldn’t lift it or bend it.  I looked down and was shocked at what I saw: my left leg was purple and twice the size of my right!  I screamed so loud that my husband, who works from home, came running.

It was at that moment that all my symptoms “clicked.” I knew I had a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and that I was right about having a PE.  My husband, Ben, rushed me to the nearest emergency room (ER), with our daughter in tow.  In retrospect, I realize that an ambulance would have been a wiser choice in case my symptoms worsened enroute, but we thought we’d get there faster by car, and we were in a panic.  I was put through a series of tests, including an ultrasound and chest CT in the ER.

When the official diagnosis came in, both my husband and I were terrified.  I had a blood clot that completely blocked the length of my left leg, and had PEs in both of my lungs. I was taken to ICU, because I was at extremely high risk for the clot to break off and travel within the next 24 hours.  Because I already had 2 clots in my lungs we know the DVT was breaking apart, and the fear was that another break could occur. The doctors saw the first 24 hours as critical, and let me know, in no uncertain terms, that I could die at any moment.  The fear gripped me and it was difficult to remain calm, especially because my sweet little girl was so frightened.  Thoughts were racing through my mind.  I was feeling upset that I had told my sons “see you this afternoon” instead of “goodbye” in the morning rush, and now I was in a situation that might prevent me from watching them grow up.  I wondered if my wonderful husband would cope if I didn’t make it home.  I was terrified knowing that my next breath might be my last.

I spent 5 days in the hospital, 3 in the ICU.  My recovery has been long, slow, and painful.  I decided I wanted to find another doctor, so I did research and found a hematologist, someone who knew how to treat DVTs.  I waited 3 weeks for an appointment, but it was worth the wait.  I was in intense pain to the point that I couldn’t walk, and I was taking pain pills around the clock.  She put me on low molecular weight heparin injections instead of oral blood thinners, and the improvement in my symptoms was dramatic. The swelling in my leg decreased, and I stopped pain medicine within 10 days.  Nevertheless, I still had a long recovery ahead, because I also developed a pleural effusion and lung infarction on my right side, both very painful.  My hematologist referred me to a vascular surgeon, because I was still feeling pain and heaviness in my leg after 4 months.

The vascular surgeon diagnosed May-Thurner Syndrome, which is a compression of my iliac vein.  The compression caused my blood to pool behind my iliac vein, and caused blood to clot in my abdomen and left leg.  I had surgery in February 2011 to place a stent to open the collapsed vein.  The vascular surgeon discovered an extensive clot in my abdomen, and he inserted three times as much stent as he anticipated.

Since then, the blood flow in my leg is much better.  The heaviness is gone and I’ve resumed cooking for my catering business, without having to rest every 20 minutes. I almost feel normal again.  I feel like it’s important to note that my chest pain came before I felt any discomfort in my leg.  Had the 2 clots that went to my lungs been any bigger, I would have died without every having symptoms of a blood clot.

It’s been a long road, and I will never fully heal.  My femoral vein is damaged permanently, and my emotional scars will be tough to overcome.  I was depressed, scared, and convinced that at any moment I would stop breathing right after my diagnosis.  I held my kids constantly and cried because I couldn’t cook their dinner, attend their sports games, or even take them upstairs to bed.  As time went on, I was able to climb the stairs again, and trek out to the soccer field, but my fear of leaving my children persists.  Even though I don’t have a clotting disorder, I will be on some form of blood thinner for the rest of my life because of my May-Thurner Syndrome.  I have learned to make everyday count, to make sure my children and husband know I love them, and to fight this clot with everything I have.

My husband and I, along with our best friends David and Jill Mapes, are organizing Austin’s First Annual Stop The Clot® Race.  I am determined to raise awareness about signs and symptoms of DVT and PE, so that no one else will wait a week with chest pain and leg pain because a doctor dismissed their symptoms.

Blood clots kill more people every year than car accidents, yet there are driving rules and seatbelts for safety.  Very few people know the signs and symptoms of a DVT or PE, and I am bound and determined to change that.  I want to help raise money for people to increase this awareness, for better research in this field, and for those who may be financially strapped by a blood clot.  Even though fear lurks constantly in the back of my mind, I want to show my clot that it awakened my spirit to fight and to Stop The Clot®.

For more information on the Austin TX, Stop the Clot race, go to www.pathfinderracing.com

Return to our News section.

Author: admin

5 Responses to "Kara King"

  1. Misty Young
    Misty Young Posted on September 18, 2014 at 7:27 am

    I was 15(1993) 8 days after my rushed c-section DVT right leg. Hospital 27 days. I’ve had every procedure, stenting, They took my entire greater stpynous out. Over 10 DVTs since. Permanent IVC Filter. Was on Rat Poison (Cumudian) til 02.I had seen specialist From Duke to Norfolk Sentera. I’ve had BC/BS my whole life. No more thinners.. reason I hadn’t had a clot in awhile. I just had surgery in March They stented my right illiac.They went thru my neck took about 2 hours. Recovery room 1 hour sent home with a 4 hour trip ahead. 72 hours after getting home my leg swoll bigger hen it ever had in the 20 years. Called Dr. She says get back up there. It took 5 weeks and I was still swollen to be able to make the ride. I figured I would have MRI or CT Scan. Nope back to OR Room they said they needed to adjust the stent.Same treatment as the first surgery. Hour in recovery sent home with no blood thinners. So About a week after getting I couldn’t walk to the mailbox without struggling to breath!! Days go by my conditions worsen. I call the Dr. She says get up here. I knew I couldn’t make that trip. Sunday June 15,2014 we rode to VA to see some friend’s. Didn’t stay long I started feeling horrible. On the way home I get a text from the The Couple we just saw that said MISTY YOUR LIPS Were BLUE? I get home and crawl right in the bed praying to God to help e breath. Around 3am I woke up to use the bathroom. When I went to lay back down I couldn’t catch my breath at all. Panic set in couldn’t talk or Scream. I saw a Tylenol bottle n my night stand and threw towards my fiancée’s wall. Thank God it woke him up. I’m now turning blue all over .Josh calls 911 minutes felt like hours. EMTs arrive and With the Quick Thinking of The EMTs. They called for Nightingale. My oxygen level was low 60s. They get me ad stable as possible and take me to the helicopter.I don’t remembe anything. I woke up 2 days later in ICU. My parents were told I had a 20% chance of making the flight. But I did!! The Drs. Were amazed. I had a cluster of Clots on my right lung!! Now I’m on xarelto 20mg daily for life. And my leg has been swollen ever since my stent to the illiac. When i say swollen I mean my leg split in 3 places. I still can’t walk to the mailbox. I’ve gained 150 pounds half is fluid. And to top it off. When I got home from ICU I called my Dr. Emailed over a week before I got a reply telling me I’M GLAD YOU MADE IT TO NORFOLK IN TIME.. But I think it’s best for you to find another DOCTOR! After she made 100 GRAND for her to botched surgeries that nearly killed me!! She broke my heart. She told me she wouldn’t give up. She was going to find the reason my leg was the way it was. She would text from her phone on the weekends and check on me!! So here I am again searching the web for A New Doctor!! This Disease is BS”! My son will be 21 on October 19,2014. Whch means 21 years of misery has passed. I wished I could Post a few pictures of my leg !! I’ve been on a couple support groups online and have not met or seen pictures that resembles my leg!!!! So now I live with constant pain with a side of anxiety every time my chest hurts or I lose y breath.. God Please Show me Relief is In Sight.. Thank You Misty O. Outer Banks NC

  2. Amanda
    Amanda Posted on June 19, 2015 at 2:46 pm

    I have been told I have a pinched nerve in my neck causing symptoms in my left arm. First I was told I hurt my rotator cuff as the pain started in my shoulder. It now runs down my arm and is very painful. Especially at night. My thumb, index and middle finger are also tingly and numb. I started physio therapy a few days a go, the last one was yesterday. I woke up at 3am in really bad pain, mythumb, index and middle finger are also swollen and there is a bruise like mark on top of my hand by a vein that kind of sticks out. I did not hit my hand. I know a pinched nerve in your neck can cause the symptoms I amhaving. But the swelling and the bruise like mark? Do you think I should have this looked at right away? Or wait to see if it goes away?

  3. Andrea Santana
    Andrea Santana Posted on November 19, 2015 at 8:23 pm

    After reading this I so can relate to your stir because it was my story. I was diagnosed with DVT in my left leg and a saddled embolism in my right lung which is a big clot. My youngest daughter was with us when everything happened unfortunately and I’m afraid she’ll be scared from this event. I know I’m scared and terrified that one day I might not wake up but I know I loved them and my husband to the fullest. Each day gets better for me because I trust in God & myself?

  4. Meecah
    Meecah Posted on February 20, 2016 at 3:57 pm

    I was 20 in 2008, when I caught my first clot in my left leg. That went to my lungs causing a PE. I had emergency surgery Nad go a filter placement. Kept catching clots . For the past 2 to 3 years after that. And had to have another ivc filter placed in because a clot went threw the first one. I been on blood thinners 6years. And Now having problems with my Filter. That moved and is now pressing on a blood vessel. Everyday is a new battle for me . But I leave it all in God’s hands.

  5. Anna Godwin
    Anna Godwin Posted on August 25, 2016 at 12:51 am

    Hi Kara, I’m also in the Austin area and experienced a DVT/got diagnosed with May-Thurner last October. I go to a hematologist, but do you have any local doctor recommendations? I’m working on trying to explore this world a little more. Thanks!