What are the potential side effects of anticoagulants?
There are three main anticoagulants: rivaroxaban (Xarelto), apixaban (Eliquis), dabigatran (Pradaxa which is less common). Potential side effects include:
- An unfamiliar headache
- While you will notice bleeding from your GI tract, your nose, and your skin; you may not realize that an unfamiliar headache can be a sign of bleeding in the brain so if you get an unfamiliar or more severe than usual headache you should contact your doctor
- Blood in your urine or stools
- In women, heavy bleeding during a period or excessive vaginal bleeding during the 6-week post-partum period
- Severe bruising
- Prolonged nosebleeds (lasting longer than 10 minutes)
- Coughing up blood
- If you have hemorrhoids, you might bleed a little more
- Learn more about Warfarin or Heparin.