Blood Clot Awareness Month 2020: A New Year, A New Decade, and A New Time to Raise Blood Clot Awareness
The National Blood Clot Alliance (NBCA) is dedicated to building awareness and building community among people who are affected by blood clots or who are at increased risk for blood clots. Together, we’re building a unified front against blood clots through simple actions you can take. Whether you choose one or choose them all, Make the Choice to Stop the Clot®.
One Community Connects Us All
Education about blood clots and blood clot prevention saves lives, and your choice can help NBCA make a difference. You are an important part of our community and essential to the work that we do to Stop the Clot® and save lives. Together, we can move closer to the realization of NBCA’s vision of a future in which the number of people suffering and dying from blood clots in the United States is reduced significantly.
The Time is Now
March is Blood Clot Awareness Month (BCAM), which is one of the most important times of the year for NBCA, because it is so important, in so many ways, to the patients, caregivers, healthcare professionals, and advocates we serve. It provides an opportunity to unite as a community to share resources, stories, and perhaps, most importantly, life-saving information about blood clots on a large and more far-reaching scale.
Below are several ways for you to get involved with the work of NBCA during BCAM. No action is too small. Join our initiative today and Make the Choice to Stop the Clot®.
Learn & Share Life-Saving Information
The more you know about blood clots, the more you can share. Make the choice to learn more and share life-saving information:
- Life-Saving Information: Risk, Symptoms, and Prevention
- Personal Stories
- Blood Clots and Travel
- Blood Clot Treatment
- Thrombophilia Resources
- Toolkit for Knee and Hip Replacement Patients
- Athletes and Blood Clots
- Children and Blood Clots
Support NBCA’s National Public Awareness Programs
Together we can make a difference to increase awareness and save lives. Make the choice to support NBCA’s National Public Awareness Campaigns:
- Share Our Widely Regarded Stop the Clot, Spread the Word® Educational Tools: NBCA’s signature national public awareness campaign — called Stop the Clot, Spread the Word®— is part of NBCA’s five-year cooperative agreement with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and involves a multifaceted digital media campaign. This campaign has reached hundreds of millions of people each year, for the past several years, with information about blood clot risks and blood clot signs and symptoms. You’ll find a spectrum of educational content, including infographics, videos, and downloadable checklists that you can share on the dedicated Stop the Clot, Spread the Word® campaign web portal, including information about hospitals and blood clots, pregnancy and blood clots, and cancer and blood clots. There’s also information there translated in Spanish, so make sure to spread the word…in English and Spanish too.
- Share Important Information about Women and Blood Clot Risks: Make sure all of the women in your life are aware of their blood clot risks with our Women & Blood Clots program, which NBCA orchestrates in partnership with the Rowan Foundation. You’ll find a suite of resources, including videos and a risk assessment tool, to help women understand the blood clot risks connected to several important life stages most women face, including birth control and family planning, pregnancy and childbirth, and the treatment of menopause symptoms with estrogen.
Become a Stop the Clot® Social Media Ambassador
- In a digital world that is packed with a constant stream of information, BCAM carves out a special place for conversations and the exchange of information that can undoubtedly raise awareness about the impact of blood clots, and in turn produce life-saving results. Make the choice to become a Stop the Clot® Social Media Ambassador today:
- Sign up for our Share to Stop the Clot® Sharing Initiative and be among the first to know about new educational materials to help you Stop the Clot®. Also, get social media content you can share right now.
- If you haven’t already, connect with NBCA on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest. Also, connect with Women & Blood Clots on Twitter and Instagram. Share our posts, created especially for BCAM. Don’t forget to use one or more of our BCAM hashtags when you post on social media: #stoptheclot #BCAM #makethechoice
- Raise your voice to help raise awareness and participate in weekly social media Reaction Polls, where you will have a chance share your opinion about the topics and issues that matter most to you.
- Show your support for NBCA and BCAM now through the end of March with our special BCAM Facebook profile frame. Get your Facebook Profile Frame here.
Share Your Story
Blood clots and blood clot recovery can be different for different people, but one thing remains the same: Every person has a story to tell, and every story matters. Raise your voice and help raise blood clot awareness by sharing your story with NBCA. Make the choice to raise your voice and share your story with us: Share Your Story
Connect with People who Care
It can be challenging and it can often feel isolating to experience a blood clot, but you do not have to suffer through the challenges of blood clots alone. Make the choice to connect with people who care: Join our moderated online peer-to-peer support community, of more than 5,000 members, to discuss blood clot recovery issues and chat with people who understand. New this year, iOS users can download the Inspire App from the App Store.
Donate & Fundraise
Philanthropic gifts offer vital support for our work, helping NBCA fulfill its commitment to create a future in which the number of people suffering and dying from blood clots in the United States is reduced significantly. NBCA invites you to consider making a gift, and, in doing so, to become a partner in the fight against life-threatening blood clots. Make the choice to donate: Ways to Give
Every donation makes a difference, and anyone can create a fundraiser to share. Make the choice to start your own fundraiser: DIY Fundraiser
You can also start a fundraiser to benefit NBCA on Facebook during BCAM (or anytime) – there is no cost and it’s easy to do. Get started here: Fundraise on Facebook
Don’t let the momentum end with Blood Clot Awareness Month. Make the choice to stay informed and sign up for our e-Newsletter. NBCA strives to remain the most reliable and timely source of information related to the topics and issues of importance to people affected by blood clots, NBCA’s e-Newsletter is just one way we share important information affecting the clotting and clotting disorders community.
If you have any questions about how you can Make the Choice to Stop the Clot® during BCAM 2020, contact NBCA’s Marketing & Communications Department at email@example.com.