Resources for Athletes
- Venous thrombosis in athletes. (2013) Article from the Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. (Abstract only) Authors: Grabowski G, Whiteside WK, Kanwisher M.
- Skater Tara Lipinski Speaks Out About DVT (2011) from NIH Medline Plus National Institutes of Health
- Venous Thromboembolism and Marathon Athletes (2013) A patient oriented article that discusses why athletes are at risk of blood clots, signs and symptoms of blood clots, and advice to returning athletes From the American Heart Associations’ Circulation Journal
- Hypercoagulability in athletes (2004) Article from Current Sports Medicine Reports. Discusses the conditions athletes face that can result in exposure to several risk factors for blood clots, how to address the risks, prevent blood clots and return to sport. (Abstract only) Authors: Meyering C, Howard T.
- Thromboembolic disorders: guidance for return-to-play (2011) Article from Current Sports Medicine Reports. Discusses VTE recovery and the structured step by step return-to-training program with progressive increase in intensity for the road back to play for athletes. (Abstract only) Author: Depenbrock PJ.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis in Athletes: Risks of Racing and Resting (2010) pages 7-9. Article from the American Medical Athletic Association Journal that discusses how blood clots form, the impact of exercise on the clotting process, misdiagnosis of blood clots in athletes, and blood clot risks common to athletes.
- Blood Clots and the Athlete: A Review of Deep Vein Thrombosis in Sports (2007) Article discusses the formation of blood clots, prevention of blood clots, risk factors including thrombophilias or hypercoagulability disorders, and return-to-play issues. From American Medical Society for Sports Medicine’s Athletic Therapy Today.
- Deep Vein Thrombosis in Athletes: Prevention and Treatment (2012) A chapter from a book “Sports Injuries” that discusses the risk factors, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of DVT and PE in athletes. (Abstract only) Authors: Faik Altıntaş, Çağatay Uluçay.
- How To Prevent Blood Clots After Destination Races (2013) Useful tips from Women’s Running to prevent blood clots after the race when you are at risk during travel. Read the National Blood Clot Alliance’s blood clot travel safety tips
- Runners and Blood Clots: What You Need to Know (2013) Useful tips from Runner’s World on the risks of blood clots for runners, what signs and symptoms of clots to look for, and strategies for prevention of blood clots.
- In-Flight Fitness https://www.stoptheclot.org/travel/in-flight-fitness/ – Exercises you can do to prevent blood clots when flying to or from a sporting event
Read Stories of Athletes who have had Blood Clots
Patient Stories in Their own Voices
- Tim Allen Tells His Blood Clot Survival Story
- In Memory of Kyle Baca: His Blood Clot Story as Told by His Mother
- Rebekah Bradford’s Blood Clot Story
- Dan Capobianco Tells His Blood Clot Survival Story
- Jim Fenton’s Blood Clot Survival Story
- Hope’s Story of Blood Clots as a Warning Sign for Cancer
- Michelle Sirois’s Story
- Michelle Winters’ Blood Clot Story