Categories: News,Patient Stories

The personal story below is intended for informational purposes only. The National Blood Clot Alliance (NBCA) holds the rights to all content that appears on its website. The use by another organization or online group of any content on NBCA’s website, including the patient stories that appear here, does not imply that NBCA is connected to these other organizations or groups or condones or endorses their work. Please contact with questions about this matter.

Nicole SheldonMy experience with Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) and Pulmonary Embolism (PE) started in June 2011, three months after I got married and spent a three week honeymoon “road tripping” around New Zealand with my husband.  Late one night, I felt a twinge of pain behind my left knee.  I ignored it, figuring that I tweaked a muscle while running.  My pain grew worse and my left calf cramped on the following day.  I continued to ignore my pain, since I pride myself on being able to “tough it out.” One day later, my leg pain became even worse and my entire left leg cramped.  My foot was numb, and it felt as if it was on fire at times.  I work as an attorney and had a hectic day scheduled, so I told myself “if it is not better tomorrow, I’ll go to the doctor” and again just dealt with the pain.  The following day the pain was so excruciating that I drove straight to a walk-in clinic to get checked out.

When I got there, I still thought it was all in my head.  What could it possibly be?  I told the doctor my symptoms and the doctor immediately asked me about my breathing.  I was confused.  Did he not hear me say that my leg hurt?  But I started to think back, and realized that in the last three days I was often winded.  I informed him of a few instances when I noticed I wasn’t breathing as well as usual, and he immediately sent me to a hospital where they discovered I had a massive clot in my leg (deep vein thrombosis/DVT), and several clots in both lungs (pulmonary emboli/PE).  The DVT ran from my left mid-thigh down to my ankle.

The ER doctor said she was amazed I was still alive, and said that I was very fortunate I had not waited another day, as it could have been my last.  I spent the next two days in the hospital before I was released on low molecular weight heparin injections and warfarin under the supervision of my doctor.  I left the hospital on crutches because I could not put any weight on my leg.  I remained unable to use my leg for a few weeks, after which I could finally limp around.  It took over a month and a half to walk normally again, even though I still had pain.  I wear compression stockings, which help lessen my leg pain.

I was overwhelmed by the discovery that I had blood clots.  How could this happen to me?  I am thirty years old, healthy, active, a vegetarian, and have always been in good health, and did not take any medication, including those known to cause clots.  Why me?  What did I do to cause this?  Why did I get this?  It created a self-reflection of my life that I had never had.  It was hard to comfort myself and I was often frustrated and angry, despite being thankful to be alive.

The toughest part for me is that, to date, the doctors have no explanation as to why I had a DVT and PE.  All of the standard causes do not apply to me and none of the tests reveal that I have a blood clotting disorder that makes me prone to clotting.  A couple doctors think that maybe my New Zealand travels caused me to develop clots, but others feel that the trip was too long ago to be the cause.

I still have leg pain and swelling, and am still taking warfarin. The latest scans reveal that my clots are gone, and my lungs are clear, so that is encouraging.

Having a DVT and PE has changed my life a lot. Prior to developing clots, I was an avid equestrian, I rode my scooter to work, biked, rode a motorcycle, and was always active.  Now I have to limit or avoid activities that could cause trauma due to the risk of bleeding associated with blood thinners.  I realize that wearing a helmet is important in case of injury.

On the other hand, my DVT and PE have positively changed the way I view life.  I used to sweat the small stuff, and have come to realize it is all small stuff.  I devoted so much time and energy to things I did not enjoy or things that I now know do not matter.  I now realize that we all have only one life to live, and we need to live it to the fullest because it can be taken from you in a moment.  I find more appreciation of what really matters: time, health, family, and those I love and care for.  I have found a lot of meaning in my life and regret that it took a DVT and PE to spark it.  I am working to spread awareness about how either can happen to anyone, healthy or not, young or old, at anytime.  And I know that I will persevere, despite having DVT and PE

Take Home Messages

  • Blood clots can occur without any readily identifiable cause.
  • Seek medical help as early as possible for symptoms (pain and numbness) that do not go away, most especially for shortness of breath (feeling winded in this story).
  • Positive insights can be an outcome of a life-threatening event.

Return to our news section.

Author: admin


  1. Steve Weil
    Steve Weil Posted on May 15, 2014 at 1:32 am

    Nicole – I can relate !

    I am a 53 year old White male living in Southern California. I have had left leg pain for several years. I had been seeing my chiropractor, but the pain got worse and in the Summer of 2013 I decided to see an orthopedic surgeon. This doctor took an MRI of my lower back and found that I had a 7mm bulge in my lowest disc. He assured me that my leg pain related to the bulge and in Nov. of 2013 I had lower back surgery (Lumbar Laminectomy). By April of 2014 I still had no relief from my left leg pain and my back surgeon was completely baffled. He recommended that I see a Neurologist, and off I went. The Neurologist said that I had no nerve issues, but did recommend that i get an MRI of the pelvis. I got the MRI and the doctor reviewing the MRI said that I had “Avascular Necrosis of the left Femoral Head” (my left femur bone was dying from the top down). I made an appointment with a leading hip doctor in the area and after taking x-rays he confirmed the diagnosis and told me that hip replacement was my only alternative. I thought that he might be right, but decided to see a few more doctors before making any decisions. My first stop was at my Urologist to make sure that my groin pain had nothing to do with my male parts. My Urologist gave me a clean bill of health – no problems. My second stop was at the office of one of the leading hip surgeons in the U.S. He did not agree with the Avascular Necrosis diagnosis, but did think that I had a severely arthritic hip and that hip replacement was my only option for relief. I agreed and was schedule for 5/6/14 hip replacement surgery. On 4/30/14 I went in for my pre-op exam and the night before (4/29/14) I experienced throbbing pain in my left calve and dumbness in my left foot and toes. I had always had upper left leg pain, but nothing like this in my left calve and foot. I told the pre-op doctor about my new symptoms and he immediately suggested an ultrasound. The ultrasound revealed that I had a blood clot in my left leg that extended from my groin all the way down to my ankle. The ultrasound tech was blown away and said that he thought that the clot had been there for a very long time, possibly years. My pre-op doctor was also blown away. If I had not shown the calve symptoms and numbness in my left foot the night before, he never would have recommended the ultrasound. I would have gone into hip replacement surgery with an undetected, 30″ long blood clot in my left leg and there was a good chance that I could have died on the operating table.

    I tell you this story because it seems like blood clots, or the possibility of blood clots, are largely unconsidered as a source of pain. All it took was a ten minute ultrasound to properly diagnose a problem that seven previous doctors had not even considered – very strange – very dangerous !

    • Tina
      Tina Posted on June 1, 2016 at 7:22 am

      It is so reassuring for me to read these stories, not of course that I would wish anyone to be experience, but since discovering my DVT in the whole of my leg 10days ago I have felt quite scared and alone as I have no one to ask any questions of, we have just moved to a new country and I don’t know anyone who has had a DVT. I feel it’s not really getting any better yet but of course it’s early days yet, I will just keep reading other people’s stories so I can understand better. Thank you for sharing yours, I now know I have a long way to go, but knowing that is normal makes me feel better.

  2. Sean Korich
    Sean Korich Posted on May 23, 2014 at 7:10 pm

    Hi Nicole and Steve,

    I have gone through a similar experience myself. I am a 37 year old male and I had a DVT which resulted in a PE about 2 years ago, and I still have issues with my leg. I am an American but live in the Philippines with my family so medical care here is not very good. When I went to the doctor the first time because I could not stand the pain in my leg, he said I had a DVT and gave me blood thinners. After about a month of no real change in the pain level, it just sort of went away one morning. Keep in mind, this was an entire month of excruciating pain and I was not able to walk or move around much. I work at home so I just used my laptop in bed. I noticed that my knee and thigh muscle were hurting a bit more but did not think anything about it. The doctor assured me that everything was OK. The morning of my son’s birthday, about a day after the pain subsided in my calf muscle, I woke up and could not breath. It felt like someone was sicking a knife into my chest every time I tried to take a breath. My wife was downstairs already preparing for the birthday party and I told he that she needed to take me to the ER now. We went to the hospital and they said that I had a PE along with Tuberculosis. The doctor said I got this because I was in bed for so long and it is a fairly common issue over here. The TB also had caused severe viral and bacterial pneumonia. I was a mess. The doctor said that if I had waiting even just a few hours to go to the hospital I would have died and that i was not out of the water yet. I was there for 8 days hooked up to their machines and whatnot. When I was released from the hospital, it took another 8 months to recover. My lifestyle contributed to the DVT. I am a computer programmer so I sit for long periods of time in front of my computer and at that time I was a pretty heavy smoker. I quit smoking the day I went to the hospital and have not had one since. That was 2 years ago. The doctors told me that there was nerve damage in my leg from the blood clot and my calf muscle and ankle do not work very well now. I have lost about 60% of movement in them. They also swell up , 2 to 3 times normal size, after a days worth of work. I can’t fit a shoe on my left foot at times. The only way I have found to make the swelling go down is to lie down and keep my leg immobile. My calf muscle is also deformed now. The TB also caused me to lose about 30% lung capacity. All of these issues will affect me for the rest of my life. Before all of this happened, I was a fairly healthy, strong, in decent shape (spent 7 years in the US Military) man so that goes to show that blood clots can come at anytime to anyone and they can be devastating to your health if not properly taken care of fast. Thank you both very much for sharing your stories.

  3. Gary
    Gary Posted on June 22, 2014 at 6:22 pm

    Nicole, thanks for sharing your story…my first clot occurred when I was 65 . Clot in the thigh,put on cumadin with no help and another clot occurred in the other leg. to make a long story short I have seen specialist at UCSF and Mass Gereral, still no explation. currently I take Arixtra injectable daily. With the doctors ok I went off Arixtra and the clots came back. Are you on any medication for the clots? I just discovered this site it’s nice to know others have this condition and can share experiences

  4. Connie
    Connie Posted on January 19, 2015 at 11:37 pm

    Please please some body help me I can’t take it no more I’m 24 with two children. For the last two years my heath has got so bad I have a large painful vain from my grone to the top of my knee also in last few weeks have noticed little split like vains appering over my leg a week ago it started in my arm, my hole arm is full off Noticeable vains and on my arm by the biceps I can see little Viens splitting I get fave tingling arm and leg tingling all day long I was sitting Down the other day wen my hole leg felt like some one has set it on fire only for a split second. I have a dry cough and last week had pink fleam come up also have had a sore nose for 19 days now. I’m so confused and scared I have a blood clot

    • L F
      L F Posted on January 20, 2015 at 5:06 pm

      Connie…Please check your email. We sent some information to you. Thank you.

  5. christy
    christy Posted on April 25, 2015 at 11:21 am

    I had my first clot at 27. I had horrible chest pain and let it go for 3 days.I’m a single mom to 4 kids so I needed to make that money and didn’t have time to get sick. Finally my mom dragged me in. I went in and told them I felt like an elephant was sitting on me and my neck pain was horrible. They did a ct scan and found it in my artery and it had passed thru my heart. I was admitted to icu for 2 weeks. They were afraid it was gonna cause a stroke. I take lovenox twice a day. I had blood testing. I have 3 genetic blood disorders.

  6. shel
    shel Posted on May 23, 2015 at 10:12 am

    I am 45 years old and 2 months pregnant with DVT from my groin to my foot in my right leg. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight as to when I will be able to walk normally without pain??

    • Inkedmommy
      Inkedmommy Posted on March 6, 2016 at 9:46 pm

      While I was pregnant I had to take heparin shots, twice a day. Once the clot thins the pain goes away.

  7. Laura
    Laura Posted on May 29, 2015 at 1:39 am

    I am 38 years old. I had a DVT in my left leg-from my groin to my knee-almost 100% blockage, and 3 PE in my right lung. I was hospitalized for 6 days. The cardiologist put an IVF filter to prevent more PE. He also flushed out the cloted vein. There was so much blood flushed out that I was urinating a bloody substance for 3 days. They gave me a choice of blood thinners. I chose Xarelto. I left the hospital on a Thursday and was apprehensively back at work on Monday. I could barely walk, but my doctor didn’t want me to lie/sit down too much to prevent another clot from forming. My job fired me 2 weeks after this because of complaints. I was still limping and couldn’t stand up for any length of time.

    I stayed home for a few months to finish recuperating. In total, it took me 3 months to recover from the pain and tiredness. The doctor said I was very young for this to happen. He felt it was due to smoking and taking hormones (HRT). I called every doctor I had to tell them about the DVT and PE – my PCP and GYN. My PCP referred me to a cardiologist who did an EKG and sonogram of my heart and took some blood work. All of which (thankfully) came back normal. My GYN referred me to a hematologist to check if I have a disorder. That appointment is in 2 weeks.

    I honestly feel afraid. Not that I’ll be afraid forever. I’ve been dealing with this for 3 months. Taking blood thinners is no joke. I can’t have a sit down job, at least until the blood results come back. I’d like to do more research, but I’ve read so many articles already.

  8. Michelle
    Michelle Posted on June 4, 2015 at 3:40 am

    Shel, I totally understand your pain. I was diagnosed with my dvt in my left leg from my groin to my ankle when I was 7 mths pregnant. I cried daily because the pain felt like a sharp knife cutting me on the inside. I thought the pain was never going to leave. I join a group on facebook for ppl who has/had dvt/PE & it helped me a lot because the Dr’s didn’t give me any advice except to make sure I take my lovenox everyday & eventually the pain will leave maybe 6 mths to a year. Well my fb friends in the group I was in informed me to make sure I wear my compression stocking daily & even though it hurts u have to walk on it. So, I used a walker to help me put as much pressure on it as I can & I must say maybe 3 weeks later the pain was gone & I was walking without a walker. I pray you feel better soon.

  9. Cari
    Cari Posted on October 4, 2015 at 10:42 am

    Lesson learned-you are your own best advocate. Just a week ago I took a short tumble on a hiking trail and twisted my ankle. Hobbled in to a medical aid unit for a xray of my foot and ankle despite me indicating some discomfort above the ankle. No broken bones. By day 5 I woke up with extreme pain in my calf. Saw an orthopedic doctor who was rude and sent me on my way with an air cast. Day 6 I had enough and so did my mother who was staying with me to help out around the house. The pain, first thing in the morning was intolerable. I didnt notice any swelling or discoloration which seems to be the triggering symptoms for DVT. That was it, I contacted my primary doctor’s office and saw a nurse practioner. She suspected miscle cramping but went ahead and ordered a veinous ultrasound and xray of tibia/fibia. Sure enough I was told I was positive for DVT and needed to go straight to the hospital. I was in such a panic. Drove to hosptial and was discharged within 3 hours with Xarelto and a referral to a hematologist. The pain has gotten a little less with each passing day. The ER doctor assured me I was lucky I found and it and have nothing to worry about given the clot is in a lower extremity and Im on the blood thinners. I still worry, of course. Demand care. If you dont get the care you need/ want then move on until you get it. Im so glad for posts like these. It was on a website like this that I was able to confirm you can get DVT from a minor leg injury like a sprain.

  10. Donna
    Donna Posted on December 25, 2015 at 11:49 pm

    I am a 53 yo woman that had foot & calf surgery a few weeks ago. Surgery went well I am moving around a little more each day. I woke up one day with pain & burning in my left calf. I called my Ortho surgeon who instructed me to go to ER. So I did. It was a DVT. I’m on xeralto now it’s been about five days. I still have left calf ache. Anyone ever have this?

  11. alison Bullen
    alison Bullen Posted on March 19, 2016 at 2:42 pm

    IM in agony its my calf and foot its really painful, and its like burning as well and i had a lump on the side of my knee and its gone now so don’t no what is going on now, i couldn’t even get out of bed this morning it was ridiculous i feel about 65 when in only 43

  12. Melissa Barrow
    Melissa Barrow Posted on March 31, 2016 at 5:23 pm

    I want to thank you for this article. I am just six weeks out from discovering I have this. I was a pedestrian hit by a car in the crosswalk on 2/11/16 and suffered leg and chest injuries. Some days have been terrible, and I still have leg swelling, numbness and pain. I was on injectable Lovenox in the hospital and now Xarelto. My breathing has improved. However, I’m still using crutches to get around. Thank you for writing this and spreading awareness. It means the world to me to know others understand exactly the pain I’m going through.

  13. Nicole
    Nicole Posted on April 4, 2016 at 11:37 pm

    Is there any medicines to relieve pain in leg after a clot and embolism I am 45 and want to be active but the pain makes it hard

    • SW
      SW Posted on April 5, 2016 at 2:39 pm

      Hi Nicole. It is best to ask your doctor or pharmacist what to take for pain. Thank you, we hope you feel better.

  14. Carol Angemo
    Carol Angemo Posted on May 6, 2016 at 7:43 pm

    l got this on and off pain in my left leg when I was 10, it was accompanied with swelling which would also disappear. The pain and swelling disappeared. two year later a started feeling difficultly in walking and that is when a noticed a change in the leg the used to pain,,,,,my leg was deforming. its more than 10 years now with my leg deforming gradually and now its totally deformed making it shorter than the right leg. I know surgery would correct the deformity and I wouldn’t even have to think twice before going for it but here I am, broke .

  15. Sophia daniel
    Sophia daniel Posted on May 25, 2016 at 11:13 pm

    Hello everyone, I recently fell and fractured my tibia and patella due to being immobile a few weeks later I began with swelling and foot pain, I let it to a few days and ended up in the hospital with a very large DVT. I was in the hospital for a week taking levonox injections and warfarin. I’m a difficult patient as I have uncontrolled diabetes, hypertension, RA and lupus and had back surgery three years ago which left me with permanent nerve damage to my right foot, so because of my ongoing issues with my right foot I didn’t think anything of it. Before I fell I was going to schedule my hip replacement surgery well now I’ll have to postpone it. But since recovery I can honestly say it has changed my life, just scary of the thought of possibly bleeding out has me in complete state of awareness. With all the medical issues you would think I was a 90 year old, but I’m only 48 years old. It’s been about 9 weeks and my doctor still hadn’t given me the green light, they’ve changed my medication so I’m on Xarelto to make it easier without being on a restricted low viatim K diet. In still have pain and burning sensation, now I know what my body tells me and come and elevate my leg. I don’t know at this point if I will be able to work, I hope and pray I will. Times are tight for families nowadays. Sending prayers to all.

  16. Tina
    Tina Posted on June 1, 2016 at 8:16 am

    Good morning everybody, I truly feel for you all, I sometimes wonder if you are fairly fit whether it’s harder to get your head around being ill in anyway. I am 59 and have just moved to a new country and have DVT in my left leg, effecting the whole leg from thigh to foot, it’s very scary as I haven’t really know what is ‘normal’ after the initial hospitalization stint and presumed it would be easier daily, but not so, having read the letters on here I realize now that it is going to take a long time and the only time my leg is not painful and purple in colour is when I have my leg elevated but it is still swollen especially in my thigh, my question is how much exercise should I aim to be doing as I’m now on day 10. I have to say I feel less scared and lonely being able to hear from people in a similar situation, so thank you for your letters.

  17. Carlos
    Carlos Posted on June 11, 2016 at 6:57 pm

    Hello everyone, I know what your going through. I have back pain which I’ve had since I was in my twenties when I had a herniated disk. About two months ago, I started having back pain, which continued for about a month. I then started getting pain shooting down back behind my legs. I was thinking, ok, I have a sciatica nerve again. My pain got worse in my right leg, to where I was limping for about two weeks, and my nerves at the bottom of toes started hurting, burning. I also had pain in my right calf. I went to the emergency room, and told them my symptoms.They gave me a shot for pain and prescribed me 500 Mg’s of naproxen. She was about to send me home, when I told her I am walking with a limp and have pain in the back of my calf. She actually listened to me and said, “let’s send you to get an ultrasound and make sure you don’t have a blood clot. They send me to get an ultrasound, and the tech told me i had a blood clot. He rushed me back down to the Er where I was given a lovanocs shot in my stomach. I was diagnosed with DVT and prescribed Warfarin. It’s been 17 days, and my pain is better, but I still have some pain in the back of my knee and calf. I still have nerve pain in my right pinky toes, and is worse when I put my shoes on. I must work to support my family, and have returned to work, 3 days after my DVT was diagnosed. It’s been a scary ride, and only time will tell how this DVT affects my life. The only thing I can say to everyone is to hang in there. I have 2 young children and it has limited some of my activities with them. I am 45 years old and not sure what caused my blood clot. I did fall down some stairs last year and landed on my knees with scarring tissue in my knees, but was told I would of had a blood clot sooner. Good luck and God bless to everyone.

  18. shaz
    shaz Posted on June 29, 2016 at 7:56 pm

    Hi I was diagnosed with DVT in my left leg behind my knee only in april 2016 and also am on xarelto and still have leg cramps. Few days ago my leg gave way slightly and I found myself falling onto the gravel, thought nothing of it as just had scrapped my elbow but since then am getting lots of cramping in my leg am worried about if made my DVT worse?? Can anyone set my mind at rest please

    • SW
      SW Posted on June 29, 2016 at 8:08 pm

      Hi Shaz. We are sorry to hear about your fall and your pain. Please see a healthcare professional if you are concerned. Take care and wishing you well.

  19. Jessica
    Jessica Posted on July 18, 2016 at 7:38 pm

    Recently I was diagnosed with a superficial blood clot in my upper calf. This causes a lot of pain. I went back to the hospital 3 days later because pain was so bad and they did another ultra sound and said that the blood clot was gone and they don’t know where it went. Now just a few days ago I woke up to my thighs burning hot and horrible aching in my knee thigh and calf on the right side. The pain will not subside with anything I try to do to make it better. I started having a little bit of chest pain and I seem to be having sob. When I went to the hospital they did and ekg, blood work, ultra sound and o2 stats were all fine, so they discharged me. I’m still having a really bad stabbing pain in my knee and burning sensation in my thigh and feel like it’s going to cramp up any minute. Also my big to hurts and feels numb. I don’t know if this is causing me to feel nausea but I also feel light headed. What should I do? Does this sound like no big deal because it seems like this is what the doctors think.

  20. Mona Fox
    Mona Fox Posted on July 26, 2016 at 4:52 pm

    I am in same boat Have a superficial clot and a dvt right leg. Pain In leg and foot bad They say it’s minor not to worry.. weare compression stockings. Getting second opinion. This is awful!!

  21. Mona Fox
    Mona Fox Posted on July 26, 2016 at 4:54 pm

    I would’ve to another doctor!

  22. barry
    barry Posted on August 6, 2016 at 7:51 pm

    Hello dvt victims,im 42 healthy and have a clot in my left calf,ive been on the couch for three weeks now and things seem to be getting a little bit better,from everything ive been able to find sais deal with the pain and things will get better,how much better seems to varry from person to person.I have to take hydrocodone daily to get comfortable,best of luck to all and keep moving.

  23. Jessy
    Jessy Posted on August 11, 2016 at 7:21 am

    Hi, hope everyone who suffered from this is okay, i’m 17 years old and my legs have been sore for about 4 days now, i didn’t do any exercise though. It doesn’t hurt it’s just sore.

    • Bel
      Bel Posted on August 23, 2016 at 11:34 am

      Jessy, if you are getting pain I would go and see a health care professional and specifically ask for an ultrasound (if you are in a country that provides health care or you have good private health coverage). Age and fitness level unfortunately doesn’t exclude anyone. I injured my ankle four and a half years ago and went to the ED where the blase Dr merely told me I had a sprain after xraying it and despite telling me he could see some of the bone chipped off. I suggested an MRI which he declined. Over 4 years of pain and severe swelling in my foot and ankle and attending 3 different Drs on 5 different occasions, none of them would do an MRI (I think cost associated) but instead performed pointless activities. 4 years later my leg swelled so badly that one of the nurses at work told me to go to ED thinking I had a DVT. Luckily the US revealed no DVT but a catscan revealed my foot was completely annihilated! The Drs were questioning how I had been walking on it (2 fractures that hadn’t healed properly (I would say from the initial injury, torn ligament, no cartilage in two of the joints, 2 pieces of floating bone from when the ligament tore and ripped part of the bone with it, the list goes on and on. Anyhow, I had surgery 12 days ago. In my recovery (6 weeks non weight baring) I began to notice a feeling as though my calf muscle had been overstretched but I couldn’t get rid of this feeling; I kept thinking it was because I sit with my leg elevated and perhaps that position had been stretching the calf muscle. I noticed the stretching feeling increasing. My foot began to feel so much like it was burning and it felt like an extreme coldness of burning. I coudn’t see discoloration or swelling because I have a moonboot over my leg and foot that I cannot remove for 6 weeks. I kept taking pain killers and slept poorly a two nights ago so decided to google search the pain I was experiencing. I read a lady’s story who had had a ligament repair and had experienced burning in her foot. Yesterday I went to my GP, went for an US and sure enough I had a DVT below my left knee. I was commenced yesterday on clexane injections BD. I felt quite depressed (being a nurse it’s difficult because I understand and have personally cared for patients who have ended up deceased because of things that initially seemed quite harmless but I understand the severity of DVTs. I came home, administered my injection, and went to bed at 2pm as I was feeling quite depressed. I then woke up and went to get out of bed into my wheelchair and when I put my foot to the floor, my calf felt excruciatingly heavy and like it was going to pop open. I screamed in pain then started crying them got back in to bed where the pain continued. I got out of bed again as I was calling out to my mother and she could not hear me so I knew I had to get out to her. I got in the wheelchair again and again, it was too painful. I got back into bed, phoned my mum’s home phone from my mobile, who then took me to the ED. I feel depressed by the whole situation and reading the ongoing issues that a huge proportion of people have, I am not looking forward to this journey. Please, if you have a muscle ache, especially in your arm or anywhere in your legs, please get it checked out. With early detection, the outcomes can be improvied. One in five people who get a pulmonary embolism (when the clot breaks off and travels and ends up in the lungs) die. For many, they die within 30 minutes of onset of PE symptoms (shortness of breath and a big one is pleuritic pain which is a bit like when you breath in, you get an extreme stitch like feeling). Please get checked out. I wish you all the very best.

  24. Aamni
    Aamni Posted on August 15, 2016 at 1:57 am

    Hello all, so I sprained my right ankle and got it checked out but woke up 2 days later with my left calf swollen, hurting and hot to the touch. I got out of bed an damn near hit the floor. I figured I’ve been putting all my weight on it so that my right ankle could heal. The next day I go to the ER my blood work came back and the Dr said I need a ultrasound. All the ultrasound techs had gone home for the day its like 4:30 on a Sunday. I’m like really!!! The ER is 24/7 anyways they shot me with so blood thinner and sent me home and told me to come back in the morning, they couldn’t give me any pain meds because I came alone. REALLY again. I’m OK if Im just laying down but when I walk that’s when I feel the pain. I feel for all of you with the unbearable pain. I hope I don’t get to that point.

  25. Memory N
    Memory N Posted on August 17, 2016 at 8:53 am

    Hi my name is Memory, first discovered I had fit in 2002 when I fell pregnant, I was in hospital most of duration of my pregnancy, I was injecting myself with heparin. After giving birth the clots disappeared. Now last week I discovered I was pregnant and the dvt came back again, few days later I had a miscarriage, I also have fibroids in my uterus. I went for a D&C yesterday but was not given anything for DVT, I can’t walk ,it’s so expensive to be hospitalized, I have to go today and see the physician,i have to have a Doppler scan for both legs. My husband is doing everything, he has to carry me to the bathroom, it’s so horrible

  26. Lily
    Lily Posted on August 17, 2016 at 6:10 pm

    Hello everyone. I am 32 years old, female, very athletic, healthy eating habits. I injured my leg about three weeks ago and thought my pain was sciatica. I went to a physical therapist who told me I had sacroiliac joint injury, she performed treatment pressing down on the groin, and also performed dry needling. The next day I woke up to swollen leg and I could barely walk. I went to a family medicine physician who sent me home with anti-inflammatory medication. The following day I still felt something wasn’t right and looked for a second opinion. I was given an order for leg ultrasound and the results came back with massive blood clot of the left leg. I was immediately hospitalized and my blood clot was taken out, CT revealed no blood clots in the lungs. The radiologist diagnosed May-Thurner syndrome which is a rare condition in which compression of the common venous outflow tract of the left lower extremity. A stent was put in place to prevent any future blood clots. I am now on Xarelto and have anxiety of anything going wrong again. I can’t stop thinking I could die any moment. What if there is still a clot floating around and ends up in my Lungs. This has changed my life forever.

  27. Jennifer Cross
    Jennifer Cross Posted on September 17, 2016 at 8:00 pm

    I am 44 year old woman with high blood pressure and take medicine for it daily. I have had this awful deep pain in my left calf for two weeks. At times it’s so painful to walk, cant bend my leg it hurts that bad. I have always had problems with my left foot swelling and take a water pill but still have swelling in my left foot. My doctor thinks that the swelling is from high blood pressure. At times when the pain is unbearable all I can do is stay in bed and cry and just wonder what is this pain? ANY suggestions of what I should do would be greatly appreciated.