2019 NYC Marathon
Taking Personal Blood Clot Experiences to the Finish Line
In 2019, we mark eight years and a total of 50 people who have taken their blood clot stories to the finish line in NYC. We’re honored that Team Stop the Clot® has been selected once again as an official Charity Partner of the TCS New York City Marathon, an annual iconic event that has raised more than $275,000 to date in support of NBCA’s mission. However, most important is the level of blood clot awareness generated by our marathoners. Their reasons for running, their personal stories, and their commitment to increasing blood clot awareness is shared with their families, friends, and spectators along the marathon course.
Eight Years Sharing Startling Blood Clot Statistics
- On average, 274 people die every day from blood clots
- 900,000 cases per year are now suggested by recent scientific modeling and public health statistics
- 100,000 to 300,000 deaths from blood clots occur each year, which is greater than the total number of people who lose their lives each year to AIDS, breast cancer, and motor vehicle crashes combined
- On average, one person dies every six minutes from a blood clot
Why Join Team Stop the Clot®?
Team Stop the Clot® is one of the most supportive, energetic, and fun charity teams. Sporting red polka dot shirts and other Team gear, you’ll see us running throughout the U.S., increasing blood clot awareness at 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons and marathons. Our shirts spark questions. Our Team members have the answers.
As a member of Team Stop the Clot® your benefits include:
- Access to our past team members – maybe even in your own community
- Team Stop the Clot® Facebook page
- Patient Runner Match Program
- Personalized fundraising web page and fundraising assistance
- Marathon weekend Team Stop the Clot® brunch celebration
- Race day singlet and other Team Stop the Clot® swag
Are You Ready to Run?
Team Stop the Clot® is sure to fill up fast. If you’re filled with motivation, eager to make a difference, and ready to add meaning to your miles – we’re ready for you. Our fundraising minimum is $2,500, but many runners create and meet much higher goals. So far, 2015 Team member Phil Kean holds the title of best fundraiser ever. He raised $51,665 and still keeps the link on his email signature. Will you be the one to claim the title from him?
Think about what your personal fundraising goal is and about how much you want to meet or exceed it. Tell us how you plan to raise funds and there is an excellent chance you’ll be running the five boroughs of New York as a member of Team Stop the Clot® and sporting the Team’s signature red polka dots.
Take a few moments to complete the application and submit it by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax it to 781.784.5531. Applications are reviewed in the order they are received, and entrants will be informed of their status within two weeks of submission.
*Please note, runners interested in joining Team Stop the Clot® who have obtained an official entry from another source are encouraged to join our Team as well. The minimum fundraising requirement for those folks is $750, which allows them all of the team benefits and a whole lot of fun!
Do You Need More Inspiration?